22.8.13

home sweet home


A couple of weeks ago, I was in my hometown for a few days, and it couldn't have come at a better time. With all of the stress going on at home, I really needed to escape and turn my brain off. We chose to drive, for the sake of making it into a bit of an adventure. There's just something really enjoyable about a road trip, and the things you learn along the way. I made a lot of mermaid tails... or merballs.. 

We decided to split the trip in two, by visiting my friends in 'Regina, Saskatoon.' This mishap was a great demonstration how lost my mind can get when I'm distracted with too many things at once. (Side note: I found a new home the day before we left town!) Without listening to myself, I just kept insisting that my friends in Regina were in Saskatoon. It didn't fully hit me until we were minutes away from the -wrong- destination, where Jesse had to pull over to laugh maniacally at my mistake, and to check the new route on the map. We made it... it's totally fine. Lesson 1: Kendyl doesn't handle stress well.




For majority of our stay, in Winnipeg, we checked into the lavish Fort Gary Hotel. While this may be confusing to the frugal types, since I have friends and family in the city, I have to say that treating this trip like any other vacation is what made it actually feel like vacation. It was nice to have a place to escape to on our own (since we are both introverts and need quiet time to recharge our energy) and cozy up in the most luxurious bed in all the land. I also felt that the hotel was a great idea because it's location is in the heart of the city, so it was easy to see the things we wanted to see, on foot, on our own agenda. There was a lot of walking, but I prefer it that way because we got to see things more up close. Lesson 2: I take far too many pictures with my phone, but I don't care. I love texture, and Winnipeg has plenty!




While we walked, we'd wander into different buildings, corners, and alley ways, in between exploring places on our schedule (I made a list this time around.) The Exchange District, which we walked through on the way to the Museum, is something that probably takes a few visits to see; since there is a wide variety of places to dine, drink, and people watch. I know very little about the city, to be honest, so it's something I'd like to put on my list of things to do every time I return. Lesson 3: I have a weakness for hand painted signage and vintage advertising. Actually, I knew that already. I'm just glad that there's such an abundance of it in my hometown(!)



Like most trips, I'd say that it all went by so quickly that I would have loved another day or two of exploring and visiting (since I didn't get to see everyone/everything in such a short amount of time.) Either way, I loved that we got to see as much as we did, and visit with friends and family - and my favorite sandwich- in only a matter of a few days. I haven't experienced a trip like this in a very long time, so it was a treat to remind myself where I come from and that it is always there for me when I need it. What a great escape.
Lesson 4: I come from a good place.

 Thanks, Winnipeg. 

No comments: