28.4.15

yo, plus side

Even though my last post seemed like a little bit of a rain cloud, it's fair to admit when something isn't working. I like to write things out, to pay attention to my thoughts, and as a personal reminder where I need to focus my energy. Because it has slumped ever so slightly, I know what I have to do to pump up the positive. And though this month had its downfalls in some areas, it also had some really good points. Here are the positives of the exact same things I struggled with this month...



Self, self, self
The things that freelance has done for me in a positive way, turns out to be a very hefty list. First off, it is an incredible feeling to get to wake up and do what I love, and actually live off of it. This whole experience has shown me the importance in what I do, and how it actually brings joy to others; which as a result, brings a tremendous amount back to me. When someone tells me what my work has done for them, or how they feel about something I did, or how I've inspired them; it doesn't ever get old to know I made someone smile. I get a tremendous sense of confidence from doing what I do, being who I am, and believing in what I love. I never imagined I would get to do what I do now, and actually get so much out of it, in so many ways. It keeps me stable and grounded, and for that, I throw myself a high kick or two. 



Escapes
Being able to escape when I need, is something I really value about my job, without taking advantage of it. When the sun is shining, it's nice to get to step out of the office and take an extended mind break, or maybe even bring my work along to get something done while enjoying the outdoors. We live in a really wonderful city, and I love that I have found my own special comforts within it, which I can escape to when I need assistance in getting the job done. Sometimes, it's even nice to bring a friend along to play with. I know he doesn't mind, and it also helps for later, when I need to go back home and concentrate. The sunshine knocks him out. Perfection.


Pressure
I have always put pressure on myself to do a good job. While it may be a bit much on occasion, I feel that it's good to challenge yourself to be better at what you do so long as it is reasonable, and doesn't lead to total burnout. I realize that because I work well under pressure, it helps to literally work against the clock by setting up a timer. This helps me bring more structure into my day, so that I work for the time that I'm getting paid for. Timing also helps me get to bed at a reasonable time, when I know that I need it. Late nights are good on occasion, but when I overdo it, I walk into stuff. Really, it isn't cool. Especially if I have a hammer in my hand.


So, on the flip of everything I posted about before, there are major positives to what I am learning and experiencing in each given day. I feel lucky to be doing what I'm doing, and even though the negatives might sound like it's too much on me.. believe me, it's not. I would much rather be doing this than sitting in an office for 8 hours a day, staring at the same screen, clicking mouse and putting text on stock photos all day. This is my life, and because it is so new to be doing what I'm doing, it's going to take some adjusting. I expect there will always be positives and negatives about it. I just feel the negatives are what teach us most about ourselves, because they're the ones we can rip apart, challenge, and pull into being something else. Positively.

No comments: