17.4.13

creative lunges

Matt asked me 'which piece are you most proud of?' It was a tough one for me to answer, because I am not afraid to admit that there are many pieces I am proud of.


There are pieces which I choose not to part with, simply because they mark a time when I first started to experiment and grow comfortable with a new and unfamiliar medium. From keeping my swirly flower paintings, I am aware that I have always gravitated to the more abstract and representational, over the real and -what I say- predictable.


I am capable of drawing "real" things. I just find it terribly restricting to rules and accuracy. Because my mom loves this sort of stuff, and never throws anything out, I gave her my octopus; which I drew in college as part of a pencil rendering project. It was definitely a good exercise, which I'm considering testing out again, for something different. We'll see...


As for digital, I'd have to say that I'm most proud of my Log Driver; for what it represents. It's abstract, it's animated (you pick the legs that you want him to dance with, silly), it's a character from a story, and it goes back to the days of being a -Canadian- kid on Saturday morning. All things which I love in regards to who I am and what I do.

This was a very good exercise.



No comments: