26.12.14

christmas spirit

It seems strange to admit that this Christmas, I didn't cut out one snowflake, hang one light, make any toys, or watch any Ralphie Parker(!) It feels kind of odd, yet at the same time, it was nice to take a break from everything, and do it entirely different. There aren't any rules to how you celebrate the holiday season, right?


I spent Christmas Day to myself, and though I got a number of invites, and even some voiced concern toward being alone during the season of gathering around with loved ones; it is what I wanted. I needed time to reflect and ask myself what is missing, if there is actually anything missing; or if maybe things have changed and I'm totally okay with it. To figure it out a little,  I decided to conjure up some Christmas spirits, to see what the holidays really actually mean to me. 


The Ghost of Christmas Past
It's true, there's no place like home for the holidays; and my concept of home is what always keeps me grounded. I've lived in 19 different homes in my lifetime, so I have learned how to create a place of comfort and stability no matter where I go. Still, there's one place my heart will always visit during the holidays, and that's where I started out; with family. It has been a long time since my -blood- family has gathered under the same roof for the holidays. Despite their differences, I am grateful for the positive memories we got to experience, before they disappeared from tradition. 


The Ghost of Christmas Present
I didn't want to admit it, but I sorta felt like a bit of a Grinch this year, because Christmas has started to remind me of a two month long, birthday countdown. It's one day, and yet we hear about it the instant Halloween makes its exit. I'm always going to have my opinions about marketing, because I find 'things' to be very low in importance in my every day life. (Funny, for a girl who works in marketing). With all of the lights, music, charms, sparkles, and noise, I sorta zoned it out until it showed up. That is what happened to The Grinch, was it not? Similarly, my heart is huge with gratitude for the people who make up my life, today.


The Ghost of Christmas Future
I feel like, overall, my thoughts are most interested in the approaching new year. This may be why I didn't quite acknowledge the holidays while they were present. Change is constant, and I love to pick up the pieces as I go, and see how they influence my future. 2015 is going to be interesting, because I'm going to make sure of it. Who knows where it will take me. Change is both exciting and terrifying in its own way, which is why I can't stop fixating on it. This spirit is sticking around, and it makes me very curious. Where will I be this time next year? I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Eeek!

What does your Christmas spirit look like?
Happiest of holidays, to you and yours. 

No comments: